Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Meet Keith (5)


If I remember correctly his name was Willard Keith Charles, but he introduced himself as Keith. After being rejected twice I thought if I could sit with him I would spend the rest of my break period with him if I could. I think I had about an hour.

So, I was upfront about everything. I used to kinda try and swing the spiritual stuff on people out of the blue, but I think it is a more comfortable conversation and easier on my conscience if I come out upfront and explain what I am doing. I told him I am putting together a blog of encounters with people I meet and talk to about spiritual things.

He was down with it. By the way, I am still using my "Are you afraid of talking with strangers?" It is so good for me. I wanted to get to know him because I figured I had an hour so he told me about his life. Turns out he has 2 kids and an ex-wife. The relationship with them is rocky but it would seem his kids are beginning to want to get closer to him. I think his daughter is around 21 years old with 3 kids and his son is 19. Keith is going back to school to get his bachelors.

After the talk I told him I would be praying for his family and for his school work.

Talking to him was a little different than your normal person. He said that he read the bible and I think he even quoted scripture (from Peter I believe. He said it had something to do with wife's submit to your husbands.)

But when I asked, "If you stood before God, Keith, and he asked you,'Why should I let you into My heaven?' what would you tell Him?''

He said, "I am a good person. I have lived a good life." Now, when some one says that to me flares start flying and warnings signs blow up and tomatoes melt and some body sings the bohemian rhapsody in my head. I'm saying that is a big no-no.

Why is that a big no-no, Rik? What is the big deal?

I am so glad you asked. The big idea is that whenever some one attests to their own goodness they are saying, "I don't need God's forgiveness" or "I am such a good person I deserve His forgiveness". These are dangerous statements because it is a spit in the face of a God of grace. It is an offense to Jesus. He said, "No is good except God alone." (Mark 10:18) If you have lived a life good enough to get into heaven that means that Jesus died for no reason. You did not need Him. Trust me, when you meet Him in heaven and look at His hands and at His side you are not going to be saying, "Hey, that was a real nice thing You did down there, but...heh...I found my own way." That just aint gonna fly.


"...there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved" (Acts 4:12)
"For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." (Eph 2:8-9)

So, after he said that I had to try and dig deeper. Towards the end of the conversation he began to talk about Jesus and how He paid the price for us. After hearing that it was like a load off of my shoulders. I can not judge whether he is a Christian or not because I just met him, but he knew about Jesus and he talked as if he were a Christian. I figured I would play it safe and share the Gospel with him to make sure he agreed with it. He did and then he had to go. It was a good talk and I thank God that He set it up.

*Closing question*

If I said to YOU why should God let you into heaven, what would you say?

No comments:

Post a Comment