Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Tell It To'em Tuesday!

So, this Tuesday was a stinker, at least in terms of the weather. If you share your faith then you know what I am about to talking about here. Almost every time I go out to share my faith I start to get a little sick. Not I got to find a bathroom sick or I got to go to the hospital sick, but more of a I don't want to move very fast because there is something in my stomach that is turning me into a big chicken baby (that's right a chicken baby, as scared a your run of the mill chicken but as cute as a baby, but the baby has butterflies in his stomach. On second thought, I guess the feelings are just butterflies in my stomach. Scratch the chicken baby thing. It was lame anyway.)
.
I always get nervous and don't want to talk to anybody because lets face it Talking to Strangers about Jesus/Heaven/Hell/Judgment is very uncomfortable. But in America that is pretty much it for now. We are uncomfortable. There are places in the world right now where if you are caught reading a bible you will be beaten, thrown into a labor camp, and tortured. In terms of Devoted Christians it would seem that America holds candle where as places like China are set on fire.

But, anyways, this Tuesday it was drizzling so me and Trabo were ready to give up and just read our bibles (not that reading your bible is bad or not as 'holy' or 'pleasing to God' than evangelism, but there is a time for everything [Ecl 3:1] and Tuesdays are our time for spreading the Gospel of Christ). I knew that I had to discipline myself and not give up so easily because it is drizzling.

So we prayed and then headed to the new Student Union. The Green was kind of empty because of the raining and the wet grass.


This is what the Green looks like. On a good day people will be laying out all over the place, but because of the new Student Union that may become the new hang out, which would be sad because the Green is a public speaking area which means if I feel bold enough I can use it to open air preach. I am not sure if it is the same with the Student Union.




But the Student Union did have plenty of people there sitting around. So Trabo got to talk to a guy sitting next to a trashcan. I tried to talk to two ladies but the first lady named Sandy said she wasn't in the mood to talk about spiritual things. So after getting out of the fetal position in a dark corner and taking my thumb out of mouth from the rejection I picked myself up and went to the next person. I can't remember her name because we talked for a minute maybe. She was sitting on a chair near the fountain in the above picture and I asked her if I could talk to her about spiritual things. She said, "I believe in God and Heaven and Hell and if you commit suicide you go to Hell. That's good enough, right? I'm sorry I am waiting for this call." That was the end of that conversation.

Let me say, if I had never heard about Christianity and that was all I heard about it, I probably would have laughed in her face as I walked by her. If you had one sentence to share with the world what you believed about God would it sound like that? Would it even make sense? Would God agree with it? Honestly, I think her response upsets God.

Go ahead and leave a comment, give me your best shot. You have one sentence to explain to me what it is you believe in.

(Trabo witnessing next to the trash can. Trabo on the left in gray. It was a good thing he didn't wear his leisure suit.)

So, I headed back to the Student Union and ran into Keith and Brian.

No comments:

Post a Comment