Thursday, October 22, 2009

Meet Phil (15)

Phillip Brunswick, otherwise known as Peanut Butter, and I go back a couple years. He used to be really good friends with my little brother Mark.



Phil is definitely a thinker, which is why I like talking to him so much. He isn't afraid to speak his mind and thats good because his mind works pretty well.



I have witnessed to the dude before and the big thing that keeps him from coming any closer to Jesus is that he can not cope with the fact that if it is all real then those people that he loves most will spend eternity in hell and he won't be able to enjoy heaven if this is so. (Yes, that was all one sentence. No, I don't know how I passed any english courses either...iether...eether...ayther.. idk)

He and I talked about a lot of stuff but it always comes down to that. I really don't get why that is such a stumbling block for him. Let me see if I can wrink (write/think) about that and come to some solution as to why it is the way it is.

If he goes to heaven and his family goes to hell 1) he won't be able to enjoy heaven therefore 2) heaven won't be perfect therefore 3) I won't believe it.

Hmmm...


1) I explained to him that in the face of the creator of all beauty, goodness, and perfection, a finite creature such as himself would be consumed in the shear awesomeness of God. I don't think that in His presence we could ever not have joy (that is, of course, only if we are in a right relationship with Him - other words we would melt in fear).

2) Perfection is a state that God defines and is Himself. Have you ever talked with someone who had a different definition of perfection that yourself? We can not allow perfection to be described by fallen people, only God is perfect and He knows what perfection is. I used to think that heaven would be perfect if it had all my idols in it, but we all know better now, right?

3) At the end of the day believing and trusting in Christ or the Bible is a decision. Some might say, "I can't believe it" but believing and trusting is a choice we all make. In the face of centuries of attacks from every front the Bible has stood the test of time. I just wish more people would legitimately test it to see for themselves.

After typing point 3 I have realized that I am talking to myself. Lately, I have been having some struggles with prayer. I don't really believe that God will answer them. I have really been concerned about it, but just recently I read Mark 11. In the chapter Jesus says that He will give us whatever we ask. Just believe and receive. I struggle with that, but I kinda just ended my stuggle after writing about # 3 up there.

It is my choice, whether or not I will trust God's word or not. So, lets start doing that!

1 comment:

  1. I love love the way you put #1. Actually reminds me of some C.S. Lewis, believe it or not.

    ReplyDelete