Thursday, October 1, 2009

Meet Katie and Ollie (13)

I just got done talking to Katie. She was out on the green with her little 8 week and 2 day old puppy. He was a pug. I thought he was supposed to have a little piggy twisty tail but I guess as a pup they are straight (or Katie got jipped).

I figured I could kill 2 birds with one stone today. I could witness to someone and pet a puppy. I got my wish. Katie has a catholic background but does not like organized religion. I asked her why and she said, "Catholic School". What could kids be learning in there that always turns their hearts from the Lord.

My guess, Legalism. Even though on their own people always resort to legalism, if it is pushed on them they hate it and form their version of legalism.

This was Katie's case. The talk was really good, almost too good. I am thinking I am going to test something. I am going to stop trying to guard every word to make it politically correct and just say things bluntly. After thinking about maybe I won't. The reason behind me wanting to do that is because I want people to respond to the message, but it is not my words that move hearts. It is the Spirit of Christ. If it is my words moving people then there is no power in it for the Gospel is the Power of God unto salvation, not my words. Katie and I talked about post-modern thought and what or who God is. The religion she has made up is formless and shifting constantly. At one moment God could be it, she, he, all three, everything, or not there. I used to be a devout follower of that religion.

She also talked about hypocrisy in the church, which I can do nothing but agree with. The conduct of those proclaiming to be Christian is causing people to blaspheme the name of Christ. But, I think there is a good argument against the idea that because of hypocrisy someone would deny Christ.

I don't like Bob. He is a jerk. I have never met you, but I have met Bob and Bob says that he is your friend. Should I conclude that I don't like you because I don't like Bob?

Of course not. I should not judge you by the conduct of Bob and people should not judge Jesus by the conduct of people who say they know Him.

Back to Katie. The dreaded phone ring signalled to me that our talk was almost over and I had not gotten to share the Gospel with her. So, I walked her to her car and did my best to share with her the message of Christ's death on the cross for her sins. I forgot to share His resurrection because of the hurry I was in, but again, God is in control and orders all things. If God is going to save her He will get her all the knowledge she needs.

I am just glad that I got to get her thinking about spiritual things. She said she would definitely think about it. The rest is up to God (and so is everything that is not 'the rest'. he he he.)

1 comment:

  1. On hypocrisy:
    "I'd rather be in a church full of hypocrites and on my way to heaven than headed to hell to spend eternity with a bunch of hypocrites."

    - My jumbled paraphrase of a great preacher, I can't remember which one.

    ReplyDelete